Tuesday, February 16, 2010

the 'confession'

Quick update - I've finished the corkscrew scarf out of my handspun. I've worked a bit on the Olympics project - pictures soon...

the confession - I've cast on 2 more projects while I'm supposed to be focused on the Olympics challenge! I can't seem to help myself...I'm beginning to wonder if I'm one of those 'process' knitters. I love starting, I love watching a new stitch take shape, I love seeing a new pattern emerging. I don't love so much the knit-knit-knitting till the end. I'm like that with quilting too. I love making the blocks. I love doing the quilting. I don't love so much putting the blocks together to make the quilt - or loading it on the frame to do the quilting.

I've noticed tendencies towards that in other parts of my life. I LOVE moving to new towns. New people, new stores, new scenes. I even actually enjoy new jobs, new skills, new co-workers, new commutes. I think that might be why I really enjoyed working food service in my younger life. I lived in a tourist area - the Black Hills of SD - so everyday was filled with new people, new questions. Since a lot of our employees were high school and college students - it was new co-workers all the time too.

I'd like to think that it's because my mind is just itching to learn, learn, learn new things. But I'm afraid what it actually means is that I have the attention span of a gnat and I'm easily bored. But I'm also easily deluded, so I'll stick with the learning new things interpretation, if that okay with everyone.

Maybe the biggest part of the whole Olympic challenge for me will be to just finish the project. Starting is always the easiest, right?

No comments: